Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Inside a Computer How it Works

Title of the Article: How PCs Work
Author: Jeff Tyson
URL: http://computer.howstuffworks.com

Abstract of the article:

The Personal Computer is considered a general purpose information process device.


The article discusses the main components of a desktop computer like the CPU, Memory, Motherboard etc and how each part is important for the efficient function of the computer. Also the PC connections is discussed as the way for the computer to connect to the world around it thru the Input/Output (I/O) devices such as the monitor, mouse, keyboard and others, thru the ports such as parallel, serial, USB or Firewire or thru the internet / network connections using the modem, LAN card, Cable model, DSL modem or the VDSL modem. It also discusses how the computer powers up beginning from time the PC is turned on and does POST - power-on self test until it is turned off.



Three things I learned from my Reading Assignment:

1. The computer is considered as a very powerful device and it has become a very important integral part of our life especially for our work and home use.
2. The development of the computer will continue to evolve as the needs of man becomes more diverse.
3. It is very important to understand how a computer works so that a person can maximize its use.

Implications of the new things I learned to my work / to me as a person:

Before I took the MLIS, the computer for me is just a tool that I use in the office to do my work, prepare my reports, and send my interoffice e-mail. I sometimes use the internet at home for browsing thru topics that I was interested in. But since starting the course in LIS260, I came to realize that the computer is an important gadget not just for report preparation but also for browsing and relative information that will be of use for our discussion. I have also come to realize the


No comments: