Friday, July 11, 2008

What is Web 2.0?

Title of the Article: What is WEB 2.0 anyway?
Author Alexandra Krasne
Publisher:
URL: http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter

Abstract of the article:

Web 2.0 is described as a moniker for an emerging set of internet – based tools and an emerging philosophy on how to use them.

The technologies encompassed by Web 2.0 include blogs, tags, RSS, social bookmarking and AJAX.

Blogging – online journals created by individuals or organizations and covers any topic under the sun. Permanent links or permalinks allow other bloggers to link directly to a specific post and it encourages inter-blog dialog.

RSS – is the acronym for Really Simple Syndication, the idea of RSS is to get the latest updates from the Web without having to open a web browser. All that is needed is to download an aggregator to an individual’s desktop and one will be able to get receiving feeds from a person’s favorite sites.

AJAX – is the acronym for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML. An AJAX-driven applications makes the result of a search immediate. There is no waiting time.

Three things I learned from my Reading Assignment:

1. Web 2.0 is the new technology that is developing in the internet and it encourages active participation of contributors.
2. Web 2.0 includes blogs, tags, RSS, social bookmarking and AJAX.
3. Web 2.0 will pave the way for more exchange of ideas and information.

Implications of the new things I learned to my work / to me as a person:

LIS 260 has opened its doors for me in terms of being updated in the world of internet. When Ms. Esposo mentioned Web 2.0 in our class, I do not have any idea what it is. I have heard or read about blogging, but I have never experienced doing a blog. Since we were encouraged by Ms. Esposo to use the blog as a means of submitting our Reading Assignment and using the internet as a source of information, I am now spending more time in the internet, searching for reading materials, comparing articles and choosing the best article to read and give feedback on.

Web 2.0 for me is a little intimidating since I am being introduced to new technologies and new terms that is not normally being used in my work. But this is a good preparation for me to become a librarian of the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course, I don't mind. Let's see if it will be saved this time.