Friday, July 18, 2008

WEB 2.0 TECHNOLOGIES AND HOW IT CAN BE USED IN LIBRARIES

WEB 2.0 TECHNOLOGIES AND HOW IT CAN BE USED IN LIBRARIES

TITLE OF THE ARTICLE: Blogs for Libraries
AUTHOR: Greg Schwartz
PUBLISHER: WebJunction
URL:
http://www.webjunction.org/do

TITLE OF THE ARTICLE: Libraries and RSS
AUTHOR: Richard W. Boss
PUBLISHER:
URL:
http://www.pla.org/ala/pla/plapubs/technotes

TITLE OF THE ARTICLE: Wikis and Libraries
AUTHOR: Walt Crawford
PUBLISHER:
URL:
http://pln.palinet.org/wiki/index.php


Abstract of the articles:

Web 2.0 offers many technologies such as RSS (Really Simple Syndication), Wikis, New and revised programming methods like AJAX and APIs, blogs and blogging, Web Services, Social networking software, social bookmarking and many more.

For this reading assignment, I decided to choose RSS, Wikis and Blogs since these 3 technologies from Web 2.0 would be the most useful for me in my work, studies and personal life.

Really Simple Syndication or RSS as defined in the article that I read is an XML-based tool for constantly scanning the content of a Web site for updates and then broadcasting those updates to all subscribers through a feed. A “feed” is a broadcast to those who have subscribed to the service. RSS was developed by Netscape for MyNetscape. For libraries, the advantage of RSS is that patrons do not have to log onto the Web site to look for information since the information is fed as soon as it is available.

Blog is a shortened form of the word “Weblog” and refers to a specific variety of website where the content is provided in an ongoing series of date entries. Weblogs are designed to facilitate easy usage and frequent updating by the author. Blog is also defined as a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer. For librarians, weblogs are an excellent way to stay current, posting regularly to a blog encourages one to actively engage the process of information seeking and current awareness.

Wikipedia defined a wiki as a collection of web pages designed to enable anyone who accesses it to contribute or modify content, using a simplified markup language. It was also defined as a Web site that allows visitors to make changes, contributions, or corrections

Implications of the new things I learned to my work / to me as a person:

Blogs, Wikis and RSS and other Web 2.0 technologies are something that I do not use or come across in my line of work. Since starting the LIS 260 course, these terms became words that have meaning and use for me.

Blogging is now part of a weekly activity that I do since our reading assignments are sent thru our blogs. Blogs will be most helpful for me in my studies, by reading thru the blogs of my classmates I would have access to other sources of information that they have used and I would know their views on the subject matter.

Wikis and RSS are two technologies that I still have to learn and be familiar with but from what I have read in the different articles that I have seen, these two technologies would be most helpful in information searching, retrieval and updating.

Wikis have already proliferated and it has many users but we have to be discriminate in using the information that we get from the wikis since many have contributed in the inputting of the information on a certain subject, it will all depend on the users of wiki how they will perceive the information they get as reliable or not.

RSS will be very useful in getting immediate updates from other websites especially those sites that you have an interest in. I still have to learn how to use this technology but I know that by the end of this course, I will be able to use RSS.

No comments: